5.11.12

travel recap - kaltenbach (days 3 and 4)




Our third day in Germany was a nice, relaxing one. In the morning, we drove out, and hiked to, an old, nearby ruin. It was really neat, as there was an old tower (complete with a spiral staircase) that you could climb up and get a fantastic view of the black forest. It was pretty neat - and also really neat to be able to do something that my Oma used to do when she was a little girl.



After hiking back down to the car, I was getting a little hangry, so my family decided that we should head into Kandern for some lunch. Hubby, my mom, and brother all ordered schnitzel, but Oma and I went for the spaetzle. The one that we ordered was mixed with cheese and onions. "It's the German version of macaroni and cheese", I proclaimed. It was amazing; so much so that I think I'll have to make another batch of spaetzle and experiment with adding some cheese this time.






After we were sufficiently full, we left the restaurant and decided to do a little bit of shopping while in town. We visited a few of the local stores and bought some gifts to take back to Canada with us. After shopping, we headed back to Kaltenbach to spend the rainy afternoon hanging out, enjoying the company of everybody, and playing endless games of rummy.


On our fourth day in Germany, Hubby, my mom, my brother, and my cousin, Birgit, drove into the nearby town of Lorrach to rent a car.  I decided that it was pointless for me to go with them, so I decided to stay back in Kaltenbach and hang out with Oma and my great-aunt Ros.  It was the only time, during our entire trip, that Hubby and I spent apart.  While the gang was renting the car, Oma, Ros and I drove into Kandern to pick up some last-minute items for the birthday party we were having for Oma that evening.

I enjoyed spending this time with my Oma and her sister.  It was quiet, relaxing, and I really got a feel for what it would be like to live in this small, German town.

Back in Kaltenbach, we met up with the rest of the gang, played some more rummy, ate a delicious lunch, and then my cousin took me, Hubby, and my brother out to a local vinyard to pick up some new wine for the party.




There were three different types of new wine that we were able to taste:  one red and two whites.  The "newest" white was super sweet - good, but too sweet to have more than just a couple of sips of.  The other two were just perfect, so we ended up getting many liters of those two for the party.



Bach in Kaltenbach, the caterer had delivered to food, and the guests had started arriving for the party.  Soon the pub was FILLED with family.  I knew a lot people, and met a lot more.  It was so nice to meet some of my younger cousins, some of which I had been in contact with already via email and facebook.  We spent the night talking, EATING, drinking, and celebrating my Oma; it was one of the best nights of my life.





No comments: