11.11.12

sunday suppers - penne rosa and meatballs

Boys' nights.  Are these a thing in your house?  They are in mine.  They're exactly what you think they are; Hubby gets dressed up and goes out with the boys for a Saturday night on the town.




I'm not against boys nights at all.  In fact, I encourage them.  There are some times that I need to spend the night in my giant bed all by myself (plus two cats).  I need a night every once and a while to watch all the girly movies on NetFlix and to eat microwave popcorn for dinner.  I need to turn my music up loud and dance my heart out.


One night of "single life" is enough for me though.  I'm always happy when Hubby returns home on Sunday morning.  Unfortunately, most of Sunday then involves Hubby nursing a hangover on the couch.  So, I try and be a good wife and cook him a healthy dinner to combat the hangover.  One that's full of good-for-him vegetables, and I even throw in some meat, just to make him extra happy.


Besides, I've got a girls' night coming up...and I hope he's just as forgiving.


PENNE ROSA
adapted from Back To Her Roots

This is a great, inexpensive, healthy weeknight meal.  Plus, we have lots of leftovers which makes for delicious lunches for the next few days.  The addition of shrimp (in place of the meatballs) would also be delicious.

penne pasta (about 2 cups, uncooked)
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 small white or yellow onion, diced
6 button mushrooms, sliced
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/3 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
turkey meatballs (recipe follows)

Cook penne according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.

Add olive oil to a large pan and add red pepper flakes, garlic, and onion.  Saute until garlic is soft and onion is translucent.  Add in tomatoes and mushroom and saute some more until the mushroom begin to release moisture, about 5 minutes or so.

Add in the tomato sauce, spinach, and yogurt and stir until all is combined.  Add in the pasta, combine everything, and heat through.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Spon into a bowl and top with a couple meatballs, and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese if you like.  Eat and enjoy.

TURKEY MEATBALLS

This is the same recipe I use for the turkey burgers that I make in the summer.  It makes about 4 small hamburger patties.  

1/2 pound ground turkey
minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 large egg 
breadcrumbs
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix together all of the ingredients except the breadcrumbs.  Slowly add enough breadcrumbs until the mixture is no longer wet and is able to be rolled into balls.

Use hands to roll into balls and place on a parchment-covered baking sheet.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked all the way through.  Makes 12 medium-sized meatballs.

No comments: