15.11.12

homemade cleaning supplies

For a while now I've been wanting to try my hand at making my own, natural cleaning supplies. Something about clenaing our home with chemicals and cancer-causing ingredients just didn't sit well with me. So, when I needed to mop our floors this past weekend, and I realized that I didn't have any floor cleaner on hand, I decided that now would be a good time to give this a whirl.

I found a recipe on Pinterest for a "heavy duty floor cleaner". Perfect. Thanks, Pinterest!


I found that this worked so well that I wanted to try other stuff.  So I tried a tub/shower cleaner recipe that also works great.  Both recipes are below if you're interested.

HOMEMADE FLOOR CLEANER

I love this recipe.  I found that it didn't give my floors that nice shine (my tile turned out dull), but they just feel so clean underfoot that I'm willing to live with dull, but super-clean, floors.

1/4 cup bakings soda
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon dish soap
2 gallons hot tap water

Combine all ingredients in a bucket.  Mop away.

HOMEMADE TUB/SHOWER CLEANER

This takes not time at all to make, and it's so easy to use.  I keep it in my shower and just clean in while I'm in there on the weekends.  That way, it takes no time at all to keep our showers and tub looking spotless!  Note that the wand you buy should not be one with an abrasive pad, otherwise, you'll ehnd up with scratches on your tub and/or shower.

1 soap-dispensing dish wand
white vinegar
dish soap

Fill the wand half and half with vinegar and soap.  To use, wet the surface, scrub, and rinse.  It's that easy!

No comments: