6.11.11

sunday suppers - quinoa salad II

I've been on kind of a quiona kick lately.  Never heard of quinoa before?  Check out my previous post.  With my love of quinoa at an all-time high, I've been experimenting with different ways to eat quinoa.




Here's my latest quinoa creation:

QUINOA SALAD II

1 cup whatever quinoa you have on hand (regular, red, black, etc.)
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
Mushrooms (as little or as much as you like)
1 medium yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic
Salt
Pepper

Dressing:
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon honey (I didn't have honey at home so I used a little bit of sugar - worked great)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup (maybe less) olive oil

Start by chopping the peppers, mushrooms, onion, and garlic.  I cut mine into tiny, bite-sized pieces because I feel like the quinoa needs to be the star of this dish, not just a background ingredient.  Saute the onion and garlic in a little bit of olive oil.  After a couple minutes add the peppers and mushrooms.  Add some salt and pepper and let the veggie mixture cook until the liquid from the mushrooms has been absorbed and the peppers are tender.  

While the veggie mixture is cooking away, cook the quinoa according to the package directions (some packages say to boil the water and then add the quinoa, others say to add the quinoa to the water and then boil - both work).

While the veggies and quinoa are cooking, whisk all the dressing ingredients together.  Add more or less of anything depending on taste.

Once the quinoa is done, add the veggie mixture to the pot and mix in the dressing.  I served this dish warm for dinner and then ate it cold for lunch all week long.  Just as yummy cold as it is hot.  I served this with grilled chicken and it was gobbled up.  

No comments: