6.6.11

sunday movie: "Midnight in Paris"

Hubby and I, along with a bunch of our closest friends, decided to get together to cheer on our Canucks in Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals this past Saturday.  Well, unless you've been living under a rock, you'll know that our boys made us proud and and won the game 3 - 2 (11 seconds into overtime, no less).

So, what do you get on a sunny Saturday combined with a victorious hockey team, an electric city, and good friends?  Beer.  Lots and lots (and lots) of beer.  And Montreal smoked meat sandwiches, but that's a different story, for a different day.

Understandably, we weren't feeling so hot yesterday.  It was a lazy kind of Sunday.  So, Hubby agreed to take me to see a movie that I've been wanting to see ever since Little Brown Pen shared the trailer on her blog.




I LOVED this movie.  It seriously exceeded all my expectations.  I can honestly say that this is the best movie I've seen in a long, long time.

The story was great, but the message was even better:  Live in the Moment.  I'm terrible at living in the moment.  I always tend to look forward to things and get really excited about them, but I never seem to savour the present; the right here, right now.

I hate to admit it, but I feel like I'm always living in the past.  As soon as it turns sunny and I pull on a pair of shorts for the fist time this year, I immediately think back to the previous summers.  I think of all the fun and exciting things that happened, the lazy days at the beach reading a book, the time with my love.  I wish I could be back there again.  Each December I think of last year's Christmas and how much I miss that time, how I wish I could go back there and re-live that time with our family and friends.

Ugh, I know.  I need to start living in the present.  I need to be excited for what lies a head, and not what is behind.

This movie inspired me so much that I've kept the ticket sub in my wallet to remind me to stop and enjoy NOW.  Thank you, Woody Allen, for giving me these simple reminders.  Don't look to the former days for the greatness, look right in front of you.  Don't ache to re-live history, be a part of the history being made right now.

No comments: