15.6.11

potato pancakes

I'm stressed. Like, beyond stressed. I have so much on my plate right now that I don't know how to handle it. Normally, I thrive when put in stressful situations, but lately, I feel like I'm crumbling.

Work is crazy, school deadlines are freaking me out, and tonight it's do or die for the Canucks to win the Stanley Cup.

When I got home from work yesterday, I just needed to feel better. I needed comfort. So, I made comfort food. Bland-ish German comfort food. Potato Pancakes (also known as latkes). I don't know why, but for me, potato pancakes are basically my food security blanket. They are quick and easy to make and completely unhealthy when served with bacon and sour cream instead of vegetables. Which I did. And it was delicious.

The comfort food, along with my wonderful Husband (who cleaned the house and willingly watched Julie & Julia with me) was just what I needed to feel sane again. Only one more week of school until I get my life back. Hallelujah!

a picutre of my cat, because I was too hungry to take a picture of the food


POTATO PANCAKES

4 medium potatoes
1/2 white onion
2 tablespoons flour
2 eggs
Salt & Pepper
Oil for frying

Dice the onion very fine and throw into a large bowl. Peel the potatoes, then shred the potatoes using a grater - watch your fingers. Once shredded, squeeze the potatoes to remove the excess moisture. Add grated and squeezed potatoes to the bowl with the onion. Add the flour and mix. Add eggs, salt, and pepper, and mix some more.

Add a tiny bit of oil to a non-stick frying pan and heat over medium-high heat (I had enough of the potato mixture to have dual frying pans going - one for each Hubby and I). Add the potato mixture and press down so that the mixture is spread out evenly and takes up the entire space in the pan. Let brown on the one side and then (carefully) flip over (don't worry if it falls apart, it will still taste yummy). Continue cooking until both sides are crispy and dark brown. Serve immediately with (if you're unhealthy like me) a dollop of sour cream and a side of bacon. If you're healthy, serve with a salad.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'm so anxious about tonights game, I can't function. today should've been a holiday.