16.6.11

heartbroken

Last night, after the Canucks lost, my facebook status was "I'm heartbroken".

Little did I know that I wasn't even close to being heartbroken in that moment.  For me, the real heartbreak came when I watched our city get trashed, looted, and burned.

I'm so deeply saddened by these events that I can't find the words to describe how I'm feeling.

Upset.  Heartbroken.  Devastated.

These words just don't seem to fully convey how utterly hurt I am.

Today, during my lunch, I took a trip to the Bay.  This place that, only a few hours ago, had its windows kicked in and looters grabbing all that they could was now a gathering place for all the people who, like me, were devastated by the recent tragedy.



The words of love, support, encouragement, and apology written on the boarded-up windows were overwhelming.



As I was standing there, brushing away the tears, I realized that THIS is the real Vancouver. THIS is what we're really like.


Christian from Germany, I don't know you, but thank you for understanding that these thoughtless acts were not the acts of our city, but the acts of a small few.  Thank you for being our guest, and thank you for your words of support.

No comments: