27.3.11

another sign that i've got baby brain

I have an (almost) daily ritual. A ritual that I didn't even really realize was a ritual until recently: lunch time walks. I get an hour for my lunch, but in my efforts to save money and eat healthy, I usually pack a lunch and eat it at my desk while working. This means, I have a whole hour to do whatever I want. Sometimes my hour is filled with errands - running to the bank, shopping (that's an errand, right?), making phone calls, etc., but most of the time I have one whole delicious hour to spend however I want. I love going for walks around our beautiful city, Vancouver is so amazingly beautiful that I take it for granted sometimes.

Lately, my walks have been leading me to Chapters. I find that spending a whole hour browsing through the books is such a great escape from a busy work day. Bliss.

During one particular visit, I decided to venture into the kid's section; I don't know why, but I just felt this really big urge to go in. Within a second of stepping in, a small, unsuspecting book caught my eye. It was a beautiful book; white pages, with very little words or colours, a book that I can imagine reading to our children in the future. As I was flipping through the pages, I couldn't believe my eyes: two of my most favourite pieces of art (by my most favourite artists) were displayed on the pages. Then I got to thinking about the name of the main character of the book. I like the name. No, I love the name. So much so, in fact, that I could imagine giving the name to our child.  Once back at the office I emailed Hubby, with my fingers crossed that he also loved the name.  He did.  He does.  Now we have names picked out for both a boy and a girl.  We're screwed if we have two kids of the same gender, or three kids, or if any of our friends/family use the names first.  We'll see, if it's meant to be, it's meant to be.















It's not strange that I was thinking about names (I've been thinking of names for my future children ever since I can remember), but I can't help but feel like there was something greater pulling me towards that book. 

Was this a sign?

Was I pulled into that book by something greater?

I never go into that section, why did I pick up that book?

Was it a coincidence that the art featured on it's pages were painted by my two favourite artists - or is that another sign?

Do I believe in signs?

What are signs?

Are they real, or are they just things that appear when I look into something too much?

Am I just watching too much Oprah?

Sound crazy? Maybe. But for now, I'm going with it.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I don't think you're crazy, maybe it is a sign, but then like you said what are signs?

Signs are whatever you make of them. There is a reason you were pulled into the kids section, maybe nostalgic, maybe intuitive. One will never know.

At least now you have some baby names picked out and hey at least you've got a 50/50 chance on using the names on the first child.