20.2.11

roasted garlic hummus

What a great weekend! The weather was BEAUTIFUL here in Vancouver, I accomplished a lot off of my ever-growing "chore list", the Canucks won, and I made hummus.

Oh yeah, I also went to IKEA with Hubby, and he didn't once ask "are you done yet?".  Seriously, could the weekend have been any better?  No, I don't think so.  Well, maybe if we won the Lotto Max, but, hey, you can't win 'em all.

Hummus is one of my favourite things, especially when made with a whole head of roasted garlic.  That's right, a whole head!





I started with a basic recipe for hummus, but I changed it a lot to suit my garlic and lemon addiction taste.

  • An ENTIRE head of garlic (or less, if you're not a garlic freak like I am)
  • 2.5 cups canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
  • Juice of 1.5 lemons
  • 1/4 cup roasted tahini
  • 1/4 cup water, plus more as needed
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt
Roast the head of garlic (it's easy, check out how to do it here) and let cool.

Place beans, garlic, lemon juice, tahini, water, olive oil, and a big pinch of salt in a food processor fitted with a blade attachment and process until smooth.  If the hummus is too thick, pulse in more water, one tablespoon at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.  Taste, adding more salt and lemon juice as needed.  To serve, place in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil.  Eat with pita bread or veggies.  

PS:  I know that an entire head of garlic seems like a lot for this recipe, but it's honestly not too "garlic-y".  I didn't intend to use the entire head, but I kept adding a little bit until it suited my taste, and I just so happened to use the entire thing.

PPS:  Even though tahini sounds exotic, it's generally readily available at your local grocery store - I bought my jar at Safeway (in the peanut butter aisle).

No comments: