4.1.11

gettin' gifty in the new year

Ah, January 4th, or otherwise known as my first day back at work since last year.  I was excited to come back to my desk after the 12 day Christmas break; I need structure and order in my life and sitting in my pyjamas until 2 p.m. makes me crazy.  Not that I didn't enjoy the time off, but getting back to our regular routine is always nice.

To make this day even more exciting, I came into work to find a gift on my desk from the firm's Partners.  A gift?  Why?  To mark the firm's 100 anniversary, of course!  I completely forgot that this year the firm is celebrating its 100th anniversary- quite the milestone, if you ask me!  I love being part of something that has been around for so long and has such a rich history.  I've pulled a brief history from our firm's website, so if you're interested, here it is:

John Arthur Clark and Alexander Wilson were boyhood friends who grew up together in Vancouver in the early 1900’s. In 1909 the young Clark and Wilson helped establish the 72nd Seaforth Highlanders infantry regiment of Canada. And by 1911, they both began the practice of law.

During the outbreak of World War I, Clark and Wilson led their regiment through some of the most pivotal engagements in the war, including the Battle of Vimy Ridge, where they played a key role in some of the defining moments of Canadian history.

Both John Arthur Clark and Alexander Wilson survived the war and returned to Vancouver where they resumed their practice of law. General Clark went on to serve in World War II and on his return formed the law firm Clark & Clark with his son Don. In 1951 they were joined by John Shrapnel Maguire, and the firm became Clark & Maguire.

Alexander Wilson and his partners practiced under the name Wilson & White, and they occupied the adjoining offices next to Clark & Maguire. It was said that the door between the two firms was never closed. In April of 1952, the two firms merged as Clark, Wilson, White, Clark and Maguire.

The current firm name of Clark Wilson is said to have been chosen by a receptionist who was too busy to use the full name. She shortened it to "Clark Wilson & Company" in order to speed up telephone calls. Today, one hundred years after Clark and Wilson began the practice of law, we have emerged as one of British Columbia's pre-eminent law firms, with over 80 lawyers and 140 staff.

my prezzie, so thoughtful

No comments: