10.12.10

giving spending the boot

I almost hate to admit this, but after writing about how material things don't bring me happiness, I went straight to the mall to buy a ridiculously expensive pair of boots.  Yep, I basically have no self control.  When I want something, I want it bad and I will figure out a way to get it, NOW. 

I left the office and walked across the street to the mall* and all I could think about was how awesome these boots were going to look on my feet.  I was outfit planning, I was thinking how awesome it was going to be to hand over my hard-earned money for these beautiful boots.  As soon as I got into the store, I felt another rush of excitement, I couldn't wait until they were mine.  I tried them on and they fit perfectly.

It was then, as I was looking at myself in the mirror, that I realized that they really wouldn't make me a happier person.  They wouldn't change my life in any way, shape, or form.  As soon as I would have walked out of the store with them, I would already be thinking about the next thing that I just HAD to have.  So, I stayed true to myself and I took them off, thanked the clerk, and walked out of the store.  I didn't spend a single penny.  The really surprising thing?  I didn't regret it at all once I got back to the office and sat down at my desk.  Actually, it was kind of the opposite, I felt GREAT that I didn't give into the temptation of beautiful boots.



beautiful boots, just like wearing slippers

To be honest, I also really have Hubby to thank for my self-restraint.  I could imagine the look on his face when I told him how much I paid for foot wear that looks like giant wool socks.  I just couldn't put the poor guy through that kind of shock.

Another day, another life lesson learned.

*This is where my bad shopping habits come from.  I work beside a mall and I spend every lunch hour there. Can you blame me?

3 comments:

Jen said...

They look so comfy but I'm sure you find a takeout pair for much less. I bought slippers from superstore that look pretty much the same for 12 bucks.

Taren said...

You can definitley find knockoff ones for cheaper! Do you work downtown?

Amanda said...

I'm toally on the lookout for knock-offs now, let me know if you spot any!

Yep, I work downtown, the HSBC building right across from the Art Gallery (and right beside Pacific Centre, lol).