5.11.10

mushaboom

Isn't it funny how sometimes certain songs just speak to you?  The other morning I was in my usual 7 am i-Pod coma, when the song "Mushaboom" started playing.  I've heard the song a million times (at least, it's one of my favourites!), but on this day, the words really resonated to how I've been feeling lately.  The first two verses are my life, at this very moment:


Helping the kids out of their coats
But wait the babies haven't been born oh
Unpacking the bags and setting up
And planting lilacs and buttercups oh

But in the meantime we've got it hard
Second floor living without a yard
It may be years until the day
My dreams will match up with my pay


Hubby and I have been talking lately.  Not just any talks, but real talks, life-changing talks. We are trying to figure out our future - where we see us, our family, in the years to come.  It all seems so surreal, we are making decisions that are in the best interests of our children.  Ya, we definitely don't have any kids yet - and we won't be having kids for another couple of years; that is, if everything goes to plan.  Sure, it's a lot to think about, but we're both excited for what the future has in store for us.  We currently live in a one-bedroom apartment (yes, on the second floor, just like the song!) and we are dreaming of the day that we can buy a bigger home.  We dream of a yard, stairs, and more that 671 square feet to call our home.


It will be a couple of years until our dreams match up with our pay, however, in the meantime, I've got a wonderful man to stick it out, and make a home of our little space.  We'll collect the moments one by one, as I'm sure - years from now - we'll look back on this time in our lives and remember all the great times we've shared in our tiny apartment.





2 comments:

Taren said...

I loved this post! I haven't heard that song, but I'm going to listen to it. I think every couple goes through that will we ever get out of this apartment phase. But I think in 20 years you'll look back and have such fond memories! Even now Leigh and I live in a newish apartment but we have such fond memories of our first place which was a tiny little basement suite. It's so important to just enjoy life and have fun in each stage! Home is where your husband is, after all! :)

Amanda said...

Aw, thanks! Listen to the song - you'll love it!