28.10.10

there's somethin fishy goin on

Once of my favourite chefs is Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa.  I find that I always really like her simple and fresh recipes; good everyday food that is also fancy enough to serve to your guests!  Tonight I made Ina's Mustard Roasted Fish - it was a super easy and yummy weeknight dinner!






Ingredients
·         4 (8-ounce) fish fillets such as red snapper
·         Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
·         8 ounces creme fraiche
·         3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
·         1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
·         2 tablespoons minced shallots
·         2 teaspoons drained capers
Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. (You can also use an ovenproof baking dish.) Place the fish fillets skin side down on the sheet pan. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
Combine the creme fraiche, 2 mustards, shallots, capers, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. Spoon the sauce evenly over the fish fillets, making sure the fish is completely covered. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish, until it's barely done. (The fish will flake easily at the thickest part when it's done.) Be sure not to overcook it! Serve hot or at room temperature with the sauce from the pan spooned over the top.








PS:  I really like halibut, so I used that instead of red snapper.  Also, I didn't have creme fresh, whole grain mustard or capers on hand, so I substituted with sour cream, honey Dijon mustard and lemon zest and juice.  The lemon gave the sauce a nice freshness and I would definitely add it again.


PPS: I was worried that this dish would have a strong mustard favour, however, the sour cream lightened the flavour nicely.  I served the dish with roasted asparagus and fresh bread - delicious!

No comments: